Give Feedback

Wifi texting

The ability to send/receive texts over a wifi would be a great addition to this application. Sometimes cell signal is just not available.

2,898 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Adam Plath shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

29 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a Samsung s8 and I keep losing the gif bar. I restart the phone and it's there only for a short time afterward.

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Texting over wifi is not an app feature, it is a carrier feature. If your carrier supports "wifi calling", and your phone supports that feature, texting over wifi works, both SMS and MMS messages.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wait, just to be clear. At&t supports wifi texting. So does that mean that textra will automatically support it as well or does there have to be a special update for that?

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As long as the carrier supports it, Textra's no different. @Max close this idea!

Just want to add that Textra works beautifully with WiFi Calling /Texting on T-Mobile. Zero issues! I'm 60' below the earth connected to WiFi, Textra and T-Mobile. Working great!!!

The ability to send over WiFi has always been there. I've had 3 carriers since I started with Textra, and one was WiFi only. I think maybe you need to check your settings or with your carrier.

• Celeste commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This sounds like a carrier issue. I text over Wi-Fi all the time. At home, my phone is in airplane mode with Wi-Fi on. Nexus 6P, Nougat, Project Fi.

I have a very limited amount of data so if we could make it possible to send pictures, gifs, and it seems like emojis need data as well to instead be sent over wifi... I'd be in love and very grateful.

• Mason Juarez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is dependent on carrier, no?

SMS/MMS over wifi worked fine with Textra on my Sprint M9 and T-Mobile Nexus 5X/6P

• Jeff Nielson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Using a note 5 on at&t, running marshmallow. I just got an update that allows Wi-Fi calling and texting. When this feature is on, I can send messages through textra, but received messages don't show up. Until this gets resolved, textra is unusable to me, and I'll be forced to use the stock sms app.

• Tom Kulisek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bylo by skvělé, kdyby to umělo rozpoznat, zda je k dispozici datové připojení a podle toho rozhododnout, jak bude zpráva odeslána (něco jako na způsob imessage na iphonech).

• Rachel Voigt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would also encourage users to get their friends to join textra, since this would only work textra to textra

• manny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

T-Mobile is not cooperating with Textra Devs. Unfortunately any one using T-Mobile,metro etc will have this limitation.

This is already an option if your carrier supports it. On Verizon, I can put my phone in airplane mode with WiFi and SMS/MMS fine

• Ley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Didn't know this was possible. But let's give it a vote and we'll see

• July commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nice idea. I've been searching for a msging app like that. Hope they'll add feature like sending txt, pics, and others over wifi.

• Miles Parker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed! Make yourself compatible with Google Voice like hanging out did Textra!

Great idea Adam I'm with you there

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that it would be a great option, but I understand why it is not feasible. Apple provides this with their iMessage program, but only when texting to other iMessage-enabled users. Since it would require the use of data servers on the Textra side, and would only be feasible when sending to other Textra users, it could very well be a paid option.

Now, on the other hand, if you want to make your messaging program the defacto standard on Android, and take away the last reason iPhone users have to switch, then this would be a fantastic addition along with an app for tablets to sync up along-side.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base